List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: mpeglib
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-05-30 11:09:04

   Hi!

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 04:25:01PM -0700, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Argh, it's crashing left and right.  I can barely seek without it crashing,
> and mpg123_artsplugin isn't much better, because Alex has FreeBSD which can't
> cope sensibly with threads, so he has all this semaphore garbage.
>
> So what are we left with?  A powerful media archetecture, an advanced GUI,
> and absolutely no way to actually play any media files reliably.

What kind of playobject are you testing with? SplayPlayObject seems to be
very unreliable, the non-streaming MP3 PlayObject seemed to work last time
I tried.

One thing that seems to be getting more and more important every day is that
we deterministically choose which object to use. Often it seems that two
trader entries match, and it depends on the phase of the moon which object
gets used then, and so some people are complaining quite a lot, whereas others
are happy.

So... I think we need a Priority= line in .mcopclass files, and sort all
queries by Priority, which will allow users to get the best match, rather
than some random match.

Another ugliness is that old .mcopclass files keep lying around if you
install KDE over and over again in the same directory, and quite some
people have problems that just some old outdated thing gets loaded. Not
sure how to solve this.

   Cu... Stefan