List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Xterminals: artsd talking to remote artsd?
From:       Achim Bohnet <ach () mpe ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2001-03-07 1:45:18

Hi,

We have several linux X-terminals (just the stuff to run a
X-server). I've now additionally installed artsd on them.  So

	artsplay /path/on/host/running/the/xserver/soundfile

works fine now but

	artsplay /path/on/remote/login/host/soundfile

does not (as I expected).  Unfortunately it's what a
user sitting infront of the X-terminal would expect :(

I've checked artsd -A  and got 'none' and 'oss'. So I
assume there is no mode where artsd (running on a multiuser server
without sound card) just forward to the artsd runnning on the X-server
host, right?

So I would like to ask if another audiosubsys sub class the right thing
to do?  Is another interface more appropriate for artsd -> artsd
communication (better one to one correspondance of local and remote
(mcop?) calls)?   I guess I have to use a async stream, because a
permanent flow of 44.1k x 2 bytes x 2 channels would stress the
network interface of the server too much :)

Thanks for any hint,
Achim
                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com