List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Kaboodle - new lean media player
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-02-01 17:44:39

   Hi!

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 01:24:39PM +0100, Martin Vogt wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 01:37:05AM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > Noatun loads slowly on systems with slow dynamic loaders.  So, noatun can
> > be inconvenient for playing a single file.  This can make KDE look bad.
> >
> > Konqueror is the ultimate browser, with a flexible embedding system.  Yet,
> > it cannot embed a simple sound file on a web page, because no kpart for
> > that exists.  This can make KDE look bad.
> >
> > Enter Kaboodle, the app I just checked into kdenonbeta.  I took noatun,
> > and stripped out what I could.  Once I finish the details and clean it up
> > some more, I'll be making a kpart out of it.
> >
> I see a problem here with pthreads.

I begin to *hate* pthreads :(

However, it might also work with newer versions. For instance kcmarts didn't
crash on my debian/unstable system with pthreads, although kdeinit loaded. So
it might just be a question of time (and newer glibc versions) until the
pthreads issue fixes itself.

Another way to get it fixed would be to build a second set of libraries, called

  * libmcop_nothreads
  * libartsflow_idl_nothreads
  * libkmedia2_idl_nothreads
  * libsoundserver_idl_nothreads

and link things like a kpart or the kcm module or mcopidl to that set of libs.
While you will not be able to dynamically load things like mpeglib into a
context with "nothreads" libs, you'll normally not want to do this for the
examples I mentioned anyway.

I am not sure if it's worth it, though.

   Cu... Stefan