List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Questions about sound recording and editing under GNU/Linux
From:       Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson () dataductus ! se>
Date:       2001-01-19 6:28:44

Hi,

I think you should pay a visit to
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/

there you will find 99% of all audio programs available for the Linux
platform. And I'm positive you will find what you are looking for.

For editing i think one of Sweep/Snd/Dap.....well, I could go on....
there are a number of programs that to my knowledge would do the trick.

The "cat /dev/audio > sound.wav" is probably not working with the media
players you tried because it creates a RAW stream of audio data. the
.wav extension only fools the media players. A real .wav file requires a
header in the beginning, which a recorder-program would attach for you.

Regards
/Robert

Jérôme Loisel wrote:

  Hi there!

  This is not directly related to aRts... But people on this list obviously
  know a lot about audio under GNU/Linux, so this is the best place for
me to
  ask. And it could give you insights about real-world audio problems some
  users have under GNU/Linux... and maybe inspire you to code something to
  resolve them. :-)

  I have a radio show. I am building a website for that radio show and
want to
  offer for download audio clips of interviews from the show. I have audio
  cassette recordings. Si I got an adaptor to plug my tape deck into my
audio
  card (SB16-compatible antique) and tried recording. It works under
Windows...
  but not under GNU/Linux.

  I tried several things... (See post-scriptum if interested) Nothing so far
  has really worked. Can anyone tell me if it is really possible to do audio
  recording and editing under GNU/Linux? Are there any good GUI programs
to do
  this?

  Thank you very much everyone for your time, and sorry I took so long.
I look
  forward to hearing solutions to my problem other than the obvious "do
it in
  Windows" one.

  Cheers,

  Jérôme Loisel

  PS: If you are interested, what follows is a summarized account of what I
  have tried so far.

  I first tried grecord. All I get are 0.1 second-long clips, and the
author is
  unreachable. I wanted to try krecord et al., but I don't have KDE 1.X
lying
  around anymore. And KDE 2.0 does not seem to have audio recording and
editing
  programs. I then looked at Freshmeat. Most apps would not compile,
install or
  run. I went to read the audio howto, and then tried as it recommended
wavrec,
  now integrated into mpegrec. That one compiled, but core dumps upon
execution.

  What finally worked was doing "cat /dev/audio > sound.wav" and hitting
CTRL-C
  when I'm done. Archaic, but it works... sort of. Now, I have an
unedited wav
  file. But when I try playing it with xmms or kaiman, I get no results (not
  even an error message). At least "cat sound.wav > /dev/audio" does what it
  should. It's a start!

  So now I need to edit the file. Specifically, I need to remove the
beginning
  and the end of the file so I just have the interview. Then, I have
this pipe
  dream of somehow filtering out the background noise (a loud humming).
I try
  opening the file with grecord again and get a core dump. I try a few other
  programs and none work. I finally try mxv, which reveals itself as the
  best-behaved app so far... at least I get an error message: "Unknown or
  invalid soundfile magic number: 488512797".

  Am I being stupid again? Am I doing something wrong? Is it my sound card,
  maybe? I can go by a more recent vanilla SB-32 or something if that
will help.