List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Questions about sound recording and editing under GNU/Linux
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-01-18 20:41:54

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 03:11:24PM -0500, Jérôme Loisel wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have a radio show. I am building a website for that radio show and want to
> offer for download audio clips of interviews from the show.

I think I read somewhere that with the beggining of this year
you need to pay licences fees if you make mp3 files accessible
over web.
(And you need to pay for the encoder too)
You didn't say you put mp3 on the server, but I like too mention
it nevertheless :)

> I tried several things... (See post-scriptum if interested) Nothing so far
> has really worked. Can anyone tell me if it is really possible to do audio
> recording and editing under GNU/Linux? Are there any good GUI programs to do
> this?

console programm (at least om my Mandrake 7.2 it works): record

> So now I need to edit the file. Specifically, I need to remove the beginning
> and the end of the file so I just have the interview. Then, I have this pipe
> dream of somehow filtering out the background noise (a loud humming). I try
with gramofile yo can try to remove "clicking"
There are no denoiser for Linux

> invalid soundfile magic number: 488512797".

wav header missing.
Use "record" it write valied wav files.

Martin