List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Video streaming
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-12-29 13:52:36

   Hi!

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 01:18:40PM -0600, Eugene Kuznetsov wrote:
>    I am new to this list. I've got a question about perspectives of your
> architecture. Do you have any plans to implement streaming video in
> aRts, making something that would not heavily depend on mpeglib? It
> would make aRts more flexible and allow other developers to write
> their own components.

Doing "streaming video" may mean different things. One would be that the
input of an object which plays something is a stream (rather than a file).
In fact, there have been some discussions on the list recently, and some
ideas for interfaces for doing this have been floating around, but right
now, nobody has really tried to implement the necessary bits of code. Martin
Vogt - if I understood him correctly - wanted to give it a try, but not
before KDE 2.1.

Then, "streaming video" may mean that you have a stream of pictures rather
than a stream of samples, managed my aRts, so that you can for instance
apply effects to pictures in a streaming fashion. While I think something
like this would be great, it's quite a bit of work, and it's work that
goes deep into the framework. It would allow writing encoders and decoders
accepting a stream of pictures, though, so that you can for instance convert
a video into a different format, or grab something with your TV card.

Finally, "streaming video" may mean something completely different.

As for mpeglib <-> aRts, the relation is this: aRts standarizes how certain
types of objects are to be implemented, and how they interact. On the other
hand, mpeglib implements some objects for playing something. However, to
implement an "Arts::PlayObject", you need not use mpeglib. So you can write
your video objects independant from mpeglib.

It's just that aRts currently doesn't standarize too much, and maybe doesn't
provide some of the infrastructure you may want to use for implementing a
video decoder (for instance threads, abstract input streams, time stamps).
But in the long run, I would like to see things like that slowly showing
up in aRts - it's just that somebody needs to make it happen ;).

   Cu... Stefan