List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Example CPU leak
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-12-13 15:27:42

   Hi!

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 04:02:23PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:

> It's about time!
>
> How about arts removes all the objects created by a client program, when that
> client disconnects from artsd?

Send me a patch that works in all cases, is source, binary and behaviour
compatible and doesn't break any existing application or server code. ;)
I don't know how to do it that way.

No ... seriously. The rule for deleting objects in aRts is:

 * objects are removed when they are no longer used by other objects

Reference counting is used to ensure that, and it works quite well when
you don't make stupid bugs in code that runs on the server (after all,
you also don't expect libmcop to work around *(char *)0 = 5; and for(;;);
constructs in faulty effects). Changing from reference counting to another
strategy is changing so deep internals that I don't think it can be done
easily at this point in time.

When used properly, it also works like a dream (you can killall -9 noatun,
and nothing remains on the server now). It's just that especially the objects
that run inside the server (like StereoEffectStack_Noatun) had better be
bug-free. ;).

   Cu... Stefan