List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Network Streaming
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-12-05 14:17:27

   Hi!

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 02:10:49PM +0100, Martin Vogt wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:47:08PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > On fredag 01 desember 2000, 02:36 pm, Martin Vogt wrote:
> > > On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:04:10PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> >
> > In a perfect world, noatun would pipe the data to artsd, in all cases.
> >
> The interfaces are missing for this in artsd.
> But if you want to write such interfaces please design
> them thread safe.(A good way is to steal them from mpeglib)

It's right, the interfaces are missing, although I am not sure you need to
care about threading here. How about something along the lines:

interface StreamPlayObject : PlayObject {
   async in byte stream input;
};

in this case you would have a type of playobject where you simply can pipe
the data into, and it plays it. It will have no seeks, but the usual "play
infinite http stream for web radio" will not have such things, either.

Thats one option. The other is adding a

Protocol=http,file,ftp

line to the .mcopclass file of a PlayObject that supports these protocols,
and let the PlayObject's do all the work.

   Cu... Stefan