List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: noatun and KDE 2.1
From:       Neil Stevens <multivac () fcmail ! com>
Date:       2000-11-25 16:58:31

On Saturday 25 November 2000 05:31 am, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been thinking (and Stefan agreed with me) that it's time to move
> noatun to kdemultimedia to substitute kaiman if we want noatun to be
> stable and usable enough for 2.1 .
>
> There's only something that Stefan and me want to see before moving,
> and it's kaiman skin support ported to noatun. That way, users will
> have skin support and skins to choose.
>
> So, I'd like to ask Charles (and everyone who wants to/can help him :) )
> to :
> 1) support kaiman skins in noatun
> 2) stop adding features to noatun for a while (until 2.1 is released)
> 3) target on stabilizing it and polishing the already
> implemented features.
>
> I think that as soon as 1 is done (or working), we can move noatun
> to kdemultimedia so that more people test it and send bug reports.
>
> What do you think ?

I don't think Noatun is feature complete yet, so I don't think it's time
for a feature freeze yet.  I can't run Noatun lately (my guess is that
Noatun requires the cvs head branch now), but to the best of my knowledge
the list of incomplete/missing features includes:

* Effects and configuration of the effects

* Session Management in the UI plugins

* Kicker applet UI / system tray UI separate from Excellent

* Choosing Arts::PlayObject by file mime-type, rather than by file name
(Konqueror does this, so people will be surprised and annoyed that the
"KDE Media Player" fails to do so on a double-click)

* konqueror kpart UI (the next thing people will expect on a double-click)

* User selection of Arts::PlayObject when more than one supports a given
file (for when an SMPEG PlayObject is written, for example)

* Starting artsd when unavailable on startup, and restarting artsd if it
should disappear while Noatun is running (maybe even during playback).
Or, at least an informative error message, instead of a crash, when
problems occur.

Supporting more skins seems to be the least of our worries, and certainly
seems less important than fixing all the crashes that get reported on IRC
and elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong - I like Noatun, and I think it should become the KDE
media player.  I just don't think it's ready for a feature freeze.

--
Neil Stevens
multivac@fcmail.com

keyserver search.keyserver.net
Fingerprint 86EA ECD4 F258 FB1B D88F 9136 4F49 90F8 CD3E 5C1C