List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: PATCH: artsdsp (needs testing)
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-10-07 21:36:55

   Hi!

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 04:07:41PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 03:07:49PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > Under linux, libpthread seems to have a kind of all-or-nothing behaviour.
> > Either you link against it, or you don't. If you don't link your app against
> > it, and dynamically load other parts that do, then you'll see random segfaults.
> >

> It should only be a problem if a non-thread app dynamically loads
> a threaded app (or vice versa)
> As I understand it, the artsdp lib communicates over pipes
> with artsd, but before that executes for example mpg123.
>
> If you link artsdsp against libpthread you are always on the winnner
> side and it should work regardless if mpg123 uses threads or not.
> but artsdsp yaf-splay shouldnt work.
>
> The only problem is that mpg123 is _not_ threaded and should therefore
> work with the current (not threaded-linked) artsdsp.

libmcop is threaded (in the sense that it does link against libpthread, not
in the sense that it really uses threads).

As artsdsp dynamically loads libmcop for communication purposes, mpg123
which is _not_threaded will _not_ work with artsdsp. This is why I am
suggesting this fix.

In fact I've put it in the CVS now, and it seems to really work with both,
mpg123 and yaf-splay now (and a few more), so everbody can give it a try
now and complain if I broke your-favourite-artsdsp-compatible-app, but I
don't think applying this can break anything.

   Cu.. Stefan