List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: PlayObject changes
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-07-18 19:46:55

Hello,

>  > this should also seek back to the beginning, see below. If you use pause(),
>  > the PlayObject will be PAUSED, and if you do play() again, it will be PLAYING

Hm. I have implemented a different bahaviour.
after a halt() the PlayObject is reseted to the same default
as after a new PlayObject().

This allows to do a loadMedia(file) after the halt.

If you call play() after a halt this gives a segfault.
(which is the same behaviour as after a new :-)

The play() after a halt should be handled by the GUI, with

if(playObject.getState()==idle) {
 playObject.loadMedia(currenfile);
 playObject.play();
}

btw: is this expected behaviout that the loadMedia method
     is accessible in a playObject? The idl file put this
     in PlayObject_private. I think it should be available.

>  > again. Well, I hope this is a logic choice of states now.
>  >
see above.

>  >
>  > Note: there was no stop before, because we said: well, you can always stop
>  > it by using playObject = Arts::PlayObject::null(), which will cause its
>  > reference count to drop and the PlayObject to go away. But for the user
>  > interface it seems more convenient/logic to call halt() whenever the user
>  > pushes the stop button, than terminating the PlayObject.
>  >

KJukebox will need the halt() behaviour and loadMedia to keep
the overhead on startup and mixing as low as possible.

(see the test 3 in mpeglibartsplay)

>  > On the other hand, the PlayObject should know it's description (i.e. ID3
>  > Tag), and setting this is not what you'll usually be able to do. Hmm, this
>  > might be discussable, but I removed it for now, unless there are any strong
>  > objections.

Yes, IMHO its not a good idea to put ID3 in the playobjects description.
reason: we must discuss a format of the string.
Should be handled by the GUI.

>  > If you would like to have anything done different, now is the chance to say
>  > it ;)
>  >
see above.

regards,