List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    aRts multithreading hack ;)
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-07-15 20:45:57

   Hi!

Yesterday, I felt like it might be a good idea to test out whether one could
scale MCOP up to multithreading. I sat down and hacked the current codebase
a bit, and yes, it worked. ;) Normally, you have this:

interface HDReader {
    void readFile(string file);
};

Suppose the user does

HDReader r = Arts::Reference(...);
r.readFile("foo");

and suppose reading the file talkes five seconds. Then you normally can't do
any other calls on this process within the five seconds.

The idea behind the arts-mt hack is to resolve this by using a multithreaded
MCOP dispatcher (which would be equivalent to a multi threaded CORBA ORB).

Well, as there is a considerable README in the arts-mt hack, you can read
the details there, yourself. I just thought that if I had made it work to
see what it would be like, anyway, then perhaps somebody might want to have
a look, too ;-). Here it is:

   http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/download/arts-mt.tar.gz

Probably, unless somebody very interested in that wants to help (or I have
suddenly plenty of time left), I will however not try to merge this kind
multithreaded stuff into the CVS codebase right now (there is life after
KDE2.0, too ;).

   Cu... Stefan