List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Noatun- News of the exosecond
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-07-11 12:49:43

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:02:09AM -0700, Charles wrote:

> I was working on reparenting the "kmpg" window into Noatun's video frame, but
> was unsuccessful.  I think that has something to do with shared memory and how
> mpeglib communicates with X.  We need to find a way to give aRts (and mpeglib)
> the Window ID of the window to paint in, rather than painting in another one.
> Noatun should also be aware of: video size, and if it's actually video being
> played.

This needs some rewrite. To do it we need:

1) change the KMedia2 interface. Maybe having additional parameters
   to the loadMedia call.

2) have some interface between the PlayObject:
   - query the supported X11 features
     * doublesize
     * fullscreen
     * XV support possible.

   - set resources:
     * doublesize
     * fullscreen
     * any size

   If you want to have pop up menus in the video window you
   must filter the X11 event queue.

   I see some problems, because mpeglib opens a window
   when it nows the size of it. We must seperate the "video size"
   and the size of the outputWindow. (for doublesize and XV)
   Then you must deal with the Problem that some users want to have
   the videowindow in noatun, others (me) not. Thus it must the changeable
   during runtime.
   mpeglib currently does not support these features as well as arts.

It is doable, but because it was _not_ planned for KMedia 2 I`m not
happy about changing this. Mainly because of this:

>Current Status
>==============
>
> 9 days until the KDE 2.0 Feature Freeze

Because mpeglib is only for 10 days in the KDE 2 CVS we should not
change it too much, but try to make it compile/remove the
debug outputs.

> Also, (talking to Martin, specifically), MPEGs don't seem to report the correct
> length of the file, I think that position is correct.

Yes, I know. The reason is, that files > 600 MB seems to
make problems with Linux CDRom if you jump to this position.
At least my CDRom sometimes hangs and I have to reboot.

The fix is: only seekt o < 600 MB and then estimate the time
from the real length.

> There is a KDE-wide feature freeze in two weeks, which means we need some kind
> of video support in before then, with time for me to implement the reparenting
> or whatever it is that we will do.

We have some kind of video support. Reparenting is not necessary, but
it would be a nice feature and should be included.
Maybe for KDE 3.0, when arts gets video support?

> but number #3 is most of an option if C++ doesn't work well with relativity),
> sound effects will not be implemented in the upcoming KDE2 release.

We as well have to decide if we keep mpeglib or remove it from the KDE 2.0
CVS. Up to now there were no bug reports, but there was no feedback
either if its work or not (apart of the developers on kdemultimedia).

I don`t like to change the interface this short before feature freeze.
But if someone sends me a (good/working) patch before the feature
freeze..... :-)

regards,

Martin