List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: mpeglib import
From:       Charles <charles () altair ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2000-07-05 23:18:21

This is Off Topic, I warn.

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Hi!

[snip]

> Here are a few things about latency:
> - you *need* to run it as realtime process for any serious results (start
>   artswrapper, not artsd, and make sure artswrapper is suid root)
> - there may be bugs inside artsd and/or PlayObjects: anything that leads to
>   internal processing >= 5 ms or so should be fixed
>   (for instance my WavPlayObject is broken, because it loads the file at once)
> - debugging printfs (especially when printed in an xterm or konsole) are often
>   a problem - start artswrapper >/dev/null to see the "real" performance
>
> Debugging a realtime process is much more tricky, because one error will
> freeze your system completely (as other processes will not get CPU time).
> However there probably should be a kind of watch process to avoid these
> freezes.

For the average "luser", realtime will be something they will not use.  In
fact, you should popup a warning in a window talking about "hey! maybe you
shouldn't do this!"

Second of all, artsd closing the dsp fd after far too long, this should be
configurable.  It's not seamless enough with certain other unenlightened
programs that don't use aRts :)

>    Cu... Stefan
> --
>   -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany