List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: artsplug near final
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-06-23 10:58:12

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 12:10:30PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:

Hi,

> I think we cannot put it in kde-multimedia, because the artsplug
> lib is linked against mpeglib and libtool does not support
> linking against not installed libraies.

I don't understand this. How would you link against something if it is not
avilable? There should be a configure check to see if it's available or
not.

> * I have no CVS access

This should be easy to fix. Just tell David Faure or Stephan Kulow.

> * mpeglib will never work on some old Linux systems, libc based systems
>   maybe this is a point to consider.

configure should be able to check this, right?

> For examples vob/ac3 is very experimental,I can already
> hear the user cry, that they cannot play dvd, because we
> cannot include DeCss...

I think most Linux users know about the DeCSS issue, so they would
understand that we can't ship it. Would be nice if it worked if DeCSS is
installed tho (does it? I don't have a DVD player).

> Mpeglib runs on alpha but (not yet) on Sun etc..
> Its a rather big library and KDE 2.0 is already in freeze.

I will have a look if I can get it to work on Solaris. Only mp3 and mpeg
video tho (no DVD available).

It really should be in CVS!

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer