List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: artsplug near final
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-06-21 17:04:53

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!
>
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 11:44:18AM +0200, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > > ARTS:
> > > http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/arts-snapshot-doc.html
> > >

> > Shouldn't this be on CVS ?
>
> Sure, aRts is in kdelibs, the snapshots are generated from there.

Of course, I thought that page had something else (it's strange to
mention there are snapshots of arts in a web page when we should all
have cvs access).

> > > MPEGLIB:
> > > http://mpeglib.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > ARTSPLUG:
> > > http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~mvogt/linux/kmpg/links.html
> > >

> > And this too ?
> > Perhaps putting mpeglib on kdesupport ?
> > (btw, is mpeglib the mp3 decoder, the mpeg video decoder, or both ? )
>
> I can only second the CVS issue: if we don't have it there, chances are good
> that most users will never even notice that there is mp3 support...

Exactly.

> The right place is probably kdemultimedia, as not everybody using KDE will

I'm not sure kdemm is the right place. Martin, are you the only author of
libmpeg ? If so, there's no problem (remember that every module except
kdesupport
is supposed to contain _only_ code written for the KDE project).
If Martin is not the only author, it should go into kdesupport or creating
a new kdesupport-multimedia.

> want mp3 (or mpeg video), but most people installing kdemultimedia would
> like to have it. Coolo told me he doesn't like it in kdesupport, and so
> if there is no really really good argument in favour of kdesupport, this
> pretty much decides the issue ;-)

I'm not too sure

> My only concern currently is how far we'll get in the future (> KDE2.0) when
> we keep the strict seperation between aRts and standalone mpeglib code.
> Especially once we start extending aRts in the direction of more modularity
> regarding decoding and playing, video codecs, threading support, ...
>
> Still, we can try this approach, and if it doesn't work, we'll try something
> else. So far, I am quite happy with the interoperability that is available
> now between mpeglib and aRts.

Please keep in mind that after the release of KDE 2.0 the code must remain at
least one year binary compatible.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez