List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    aRts issues with long files
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-05-28 10:49:31

   Hi!

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:20:20PM -0700, Charles wrote:
> I was adding the progress slider to noatun (e.g., getting it to work) and I came
> up with an odd bug.

You'll need to patch wavplayobject_impl.cc if you want to test seeking, as it
currently doesn't support it - shouldn't be too hard, but needs to be done. It
will not even give you overall time information, read the source to see it.

> When opening a file (which requires a trick in itself).  Hit the play button.
> and my disk starts thrashing. so I kill noatun.  with top, I learn that artsd
> still is using about 35mb of ram.
>
> Take a look at kdemultimedia/noatun/noatun/player.cpp for the evil code (lines

I also observed this once with big files. I added a fix against the crash now.

The memory leak should be fixed now, too - the wavs are loaded to a cache,
which wasn't cleaned up properly until now. Maybe one could make the size
configurable one day (it is 8192K hardcoded right now), but other than that,
it should work.

Regarding the "freeze" that occurs with big files, there is a deeper problem:

The wav loading code (see CachedWav) loads wavs as a whole - which is, at
best, a stupid idea, when it comes to large files. The problem you are
running into is that this will interrupt all other operations, too, which
makes things even worse.

If somebody would rewrite the whole wave loading thingy to a bucketwise
work a lot nicer. On the other hand, also the resampling code currently
assumes that you perform resampling operations in one huge memory area,
and not bucketwise, so this would need to be adapted. This is the reason
why the artsplug (mpeglib) resampling code looks so ugly, while for
incoming audio streams (artscat, quake), resampling is simply *not done
at all*.

Any volunteers?

   Cu... Stefan