List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Namespace
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-05-18 15:38:58

   Hi!

So, I've finally moved aRts into one namespace, called "Arts".

As aRts didn't use a namespace before, collisions could occur with some
common names aRts uses, like Object (defined by XFree4.0), Buffer,
Connection and so on. Now, every class/interface which belongs to aRts is
in the "Arts" namespace, which solves all these issues.

I've also considered creating multiple namespaces. With the recent changes,
mcopidl can support creating any number of namespaces. Nested namespaces
shouldn't be a problem if that is really required.

There would be a variety of things which could be seperated, such as putting
MCOP in one namespace, Arts in another, creating things like Arts::Plugin,
Arts::Builder, Soundserver, KMedia2, or calling classes
Arts::Plugin::Arithmetic::Add, Arts::Plugin::Soundcard::Play and similar.

However, probably the most important thing is to keep things simple, this is
why I think only using one namespace (Arts) for everything is the easiest for
the user.

I hope that I didn't break too many things. ;-) - there is a new documentation
file available at

  http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/arts-mcop-doc/modules.html

which of course is also in the CVS/Snapshots.

   Cu... Stefan