List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: More MSOP stuff: dynamic casting and aliasing
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-05-15 17:53:32

   Hi!

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 04:36:15PM +0100, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> nicolas.brodu@free.fr wrote:
> > > Maybe aliasing should base on _node->virtualize?
> >
> > I totally agree. See above.
> >

> Hmm, in fact, alias isn't that good a choice. It's confusing, because your
> virtual ports are really that, and not aliases (the example you posted where you
> rearrange the group).
>
> So, let's also drop the 'alias' name...
>
> What would be necessary to allow the virtualize stuff to work with a syntax as
> simple as the one I proposed? I mean, I had to created an AliasedObject for code
> like:
> Object o;
> alias(o,"a_port",another_object,"another_port");
>
> In that case, since o doesn't exist, you cannot call _alias^H^H^H^H^H^H
> _virtualize on it. So I created a foo AliasedObject to serve as a support.
> How did you solve this one?

Not at all ;-)

But basically, a "dynamic skeleton object" should even be able to create
a port for itself, and use it to transfer real data (without virtualization),
as it should be able to implement methods, and attributes.

A good example for this is LADSPA support (another simple plugin interface
for linux), which we could have some day have in aRts/MCOP. It should work
like this:

You say

SynthModule m("Foo");

If Foo is a LADSPA plugin (which provides some entry points for processing
float data), it should be dlopened, and a LADSPAGate object should be created
that adds to itself (and to the flowsystem) the required ports. It then
reimplements calculateBlock, where it calls the "real" LADSPA calculation
function.

So basically, dynamically implemented modules should be capable of
implementing interfaces with any kinds of ports, methods and attributes
without the author knowing the exact types and count before.

   Cu... Stefan