Hi! On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 12:33:51PM +0200, Ken Haste Andersen wrote: > I've recently downloaded the artsd sources and have begun playing around > with them. It semms like a very nice framework, though the documentation > could be a little more developed. I've begun writing a small DJ > application using artsd. However, I have a basic problem, namely on my > home-machine, it is not possible to stream more than one stream at a time. > If I stream more than one stream (i.e. by artscat), mainly noise comes > out. However, on my machine at work there are no problems. > > My homemachine has a awe32 (soundblaster) soundcard, while the one at work > has a cheap pci-soundcard. Does anybody have an idea of what is > wrong? Could it be due to a bad awe32 sound driver? > > Any suggestions would be appreciated. First, and most important: the streams are not clipped nor scaled unless you run artscontrol, so you either make sure that - if you have two streams - each of the streams doesn't use more than the signal range from -0.5 to 0.5, or you will get really strange noise effects. If you have artscontrol, you get clipping (look at the StereoVolumeControl implementation in the source... ;), and can adjust the volume properly. Then there are a few other things regarding real dropouts: running as realtime process helps (start artswrapper instead of artsd and chown root artsd and artswrapper, and make *only* artswrapper suid root). Then, make sure that the fragment count/size settings are not too tight (see artsd -?). Using SCSI disks instead of IDE seems to have a major impact, too. And finally, on the side of the implementation: don't stream to the server, but implement your app as objects which run on the server - this saves context switching and transfer overhead, and makes the objects run with the same priority as artsd, which could be realtime if you used artswrapper or similar. Cu... Stefan -- -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany KDE Developer, project infos at http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde *-