List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Flat SmartWrappers
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-04-07 18:36:11

   Hi!

I've just commited a new version of the smartwrapper code to the CVS. Its
a lot faster due to the fact that they do not inherit each other any more.

This leads to much simpler code. On the other hand, it seems that inline
functions don't bloat the binaries, so adding all functions from all base
classes to each smartwrapper seems to be ok. I've added more tests regarding
parameter passing and I'm quite happy with the results now.

Casting is done via operators. So if D inherits from A, it has an

  inline operator A()

to do the casts. So it works the same as before, just without inheritance.
One problem is still that when writing A(d), where "d" is a D class, its
not clear whether a conversion to D_base* and then to A (from A_base*) or
to A and then to A via copy constructor is requested. This should go away
once _base stuff disappears a bit more and the operator is no longer needed.

Also the start() function still causes problems - something has to be renamed
there.

So probably, I can start porting some code over to smartwrappers this weekend
(especially the binding for arguments and Object -> Object_base would be an
important step). Well, lets see.

   Cu... Stefan