List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Name change, more plan
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-03-18 15:04:33

   Hi!

The more I think about the new "easy" component C++ API, the more I think
that it is not an issue of either this or the old. Probably the best way is
really

   "easy" C++ API  |  aRtsbuilder/flow graph stuff
 ------------------+--------------------------------
              standard  C++ API

What exactly the target audience for the "easy" C++ API is, remains to be
seen. However, what we can do now is: make sure that the standard C++ API
is stable, and works. It is IMHO. Use it for most things, including all
internal tasks, and things like kaiman, artscontrol, artsplay, knotify, etc.

It seems that the "easy" C++ API isn't intended to take over all functionality
of the standard C++ API, and that wouldn't be possible/nice either.

But then, I think changing names back is a good idea.

   SimpleSoundServer_var x = SimpleSoundServer_base::_fromString("foo");

doesn't seem to be that intuitive. The same is valid for parameters and
return codes

   void SimpleSoundServer_impl::attach(ByteSoundProducer *producer);

is much more intuitive than

   void SimpleSoundServer_impl::attach(ByteSoundProducer_base *producer);

I'd suggest having:

   SimpleSoundServer_obj server;

as declaration for the "easy" C++ API, and

   SimpleSoundServer *server;
   SimpleSoundServer_var server;

for the "standard" C++ API. This will also save a lot of trouble, because
otherwise all the changes would have need to be merged back into the handling
of "Object" in object.cc.

Also, doing so allows keeping the "easy" C++ API unfrozen very long, as
nothing but some examples will depend on it. Maybe we'll see after a while
that we've merged that much changes back into the standard API, that we
won't need the easy API.... maybe not. Just see what happens.

Nicolas, if you agree, would you make the required changes? (Please test
that kdemultimedia still compiles afterwards). Or shall I do it?

   Cu... Stefan