List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: kmidi issues (fwd)
From:       Greg Lee <lee () hawaii ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-07 20:06:40

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

> On-demand-starting for instance would be another option, there are others.
> But somebody needs to take time for making that work. That whole /dev/dsp
> freeing is currently not too high on my priority list, as there are other
> things to care about. However, at least with KDE2.0, it should be solved.

Great.  There's no hurry -- it makes me sad to kill artsd, but I can do it.

> > sending output to artsd instead of /dev/dsp? (It's never going to work
> > as well.)  I do see some point to teaching kmidi to accept input from
>
> When it doesn't work as well (apart from that the CPU usage may be a little
> higher) that is clearly a bug. I see no reason why it shouldn't.

CPU usage matters for kmidi.  Also, there's the matter of getting back
information about when sound samples are being played and how near kmidi
is to experiencing a dropout, when it can't compute the sound samples
fast enough.  Well, I guess these things can be fixed up.  I'll try to
take a more positive outlook.  I do appreciate all the work you're putting
in.

Greg Lee <lee@Hawaii.edu>