List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    artsd/esd (was Re: kmidi issues (fwd))
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-03-07 18:19:07

Greg Lee wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > > I don't think artsd should tie up /dev/dsp when it's not using it.
> >
> > At very least, there will be a way to free /dev/dsp without killing artsd,
> > like esd does (esdctl off). On the other hand, it would be really a pity

What would be fine, is to allows artsd to use esd. That way you could run both
applications using esd directly and artsd in the same time. Of course, artsd
would use /dev/dsp directly when esd isn't present. But in that case, making
artsd have its own artsdctl off (or even SIGUSR1=stop, 2=start) and patching esd
would allow to launch esd even if artsd is present, and then artsd fall back in
esd compatibility mode.

Now, I've been on this list for a week only, and won't do the coding for this
myself. Might just give ideas though...

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)