List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: aKtion! [was: Re: empath]
From:       Greg Lee <lee () hawaii ! edu>
Date:       2000-01-06 17:50:25

On -1 xxx -1, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!
>
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 02:19:08PM -0500, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> > I'm not really happy with the way that KDE multimedia is shaping up for
> > KDE 2.0.  We discussed lots of advances at KDE II but none of them have
> > really occurred.
> There are of course people who work on various other multimedia projects,
> like Martin Vogt "kmp3/yaf-lib", Christian Esken "knotify", Antonio
> Larrossa "kmid", Greg Lee "kmidi" or Jan Wuerthner "Brahms".

> I hope to come up with an primitive-but-works soundserver like esd implemented
> using the new MCOP code in some time.

I wouldn't like kmidi to be obsoleted by the new soundserver.
There are a couple of issues I'm worried about.  Kmidi now calls
the system soundcard driver to find out what sample is currently
being played and also to find out how much data the driver has
buffered up.  This is necessary to synchonize sound with
visual display and also to decide whether to economize on
computations in case kmidi is falling behind.  I hope I can
still get this information if I have to work through an
intermediate driver.

Greg Lee <lee@Hawaii.edu>