On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 09:34:45PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote: > Hi! > > On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 07:53:57PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote: > > Well, using esd is fine with me. If people want that. > > > If KDE 2.0 is someday out, I think a lot of CORBA porting will > > start: The authors of the different apps like kmp3,kmikmod,... > > will do CORBA interfaces to their apps. > > Letīs wait until they have a bit experience with CORBA, and start > > using it, before we push now a CORBA based interface into KDE > > which no one (except arts) uses. > > First of all: I don't want to have a CORBA interface in KDE which > no one, but arts, uses. (In fact, I now read your sentence three > times, and am still not sure if I have understood what you think > I want to do, and why this is bad?). > Its not bad. But currently all players are not CORBA based. I have no experience with CORBA and I think this goes for many other people as well. I donīt know what I can do with CORBA and what should be done in CORBA and what not. I think I will start with this CORBA after KDE2.0 is out. If KDE2.0 then has the arts audio server already in, its okay for me. I will look at it. In fact, the only thing which I would like to have in KDE2.0 is an audioserver which mixes audio.(arts or esd) Ahem, and it should be easy to use. > I think there is one major problem in your idea: you just can't let > everybody add some kind of CORBA interface that just does something > or other. If you do so, you end up with a houndred incompatible apps. > Yes, this is the problem. Maybe its a good idea to put the arts audioserver in KDE2.0. This at least would gurantee that the authors have a look at it, and can improve it if the porting starts. Iīm not against using the arts audio server.(to make this clear) regards, Martin