List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: aRts as KDE2.0 audio server
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       1999-09-05 17:53:57

Hi,

KDE 2.0 needs something better than "kaudioserver" which
is in KDE 1.0 right now.

But my vote goes to *esd* as a solution for KDE 2.0.

* Esd compiles without any gtk/gdk/gnome dependencies.
* Gnome uses esd and thus is a bit tested.
* Its easy for a programmer to use the esd interfaces.

Nevertheless Stefan Westerfeld is right, that esd is not
very flexible.

KDE should have something better (than esd).

But not for KDE 2.0!

If KDE 2.0 is someday out, I think a lot of CORBA porting will
start: The authors of the different apps like kmp3,kmikmod,...
will do CORBA interfaces to their apps.

Letīs wait until they have a bit experience with CORBA, and start
using it, before we push now a CORBA based interface into KDE
which no one (except arts) uses.

regards,

Martin