List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: KMix2 features
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-08-11 22:27:02

Am 28.06.2013 19:05, schrieb Nikos Chatzidakis:
> Hello everybody!
>
> My name is Nikolaos (Nikos) Chatzidakis, and I'm going to work on the
> KMix2 project at this years GSoC.

Hello Nikos,

first I have to say that calling the project "KMix2" is very unlucky.
First it sounds very much like KMix v2 and could lead to confusion.
Second, is the project really about KMix , or aboud a sound menu
independent from KMix? I could not figure that out from
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/nikhatzi/24001 .

Also, as the maintainer of KMix I am highly confused about the GSOC
project. Many claims on the project page are very questionable:

"A long time ago, KMix started to include Ubuntu's Sound Menu design."
    Wrong: It started shipping 2013. I would not call that "long time ago"

"Development stalled"
   Wrong. Who said so?

"and a new rewrite of KMix is around the corner."
   Is it? The existing branch contains only a minimum subset of features
of current KMix. Likely missing is:
  - Volume save and restore
  - Configuration window/options
  - OSD
  - Global keyboard shorcuts
  - DBUS interface
  - Media player support (sound menu)
  - Solaris support
  - Any backend apart from Pulseaudio (IIRC).
I am not 100% sure what parts are currently integrated, so the list
might not be 100% accurate. So I would like to know on which code base
you are working? KMix trunk, as in
http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kmix.git ? Or that "rewrite branch".
Or is that irrelevant, because you simply want to do a sound menu?

> It's time to make some changes on our favourite sound mixer, and some
> feedback from the users would be really usefull! Feel free to propose
> new features you want, or changes you would like to see, so that I get
> more ideas. Thank you in advance for your time,

For features, you might want to look at KMix's wish list. It currently
contains 31 wishes from users.

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=735746&bug_severity=wishlist&query_format=adv \
anced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=kmix

   Christian