List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Randa: GIT migration plan for KDE Multimedia
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-18 11:22:19

Am Freitag, 3. Juni 2011, 21:06:17 schrieb ian.monroe@gmail.com:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 14:01, Harald Sitter <sitter@kde.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM, ian.monroe@gmail.com
> > <ian.monroe@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I have now read the "git migration, next steps" thread. After that the
situation doesn't seem to be so easy. What I see is that Distributors have
valid arguments against a split.

I'll try to summarize the thread as neutral/balanced as possible:

If I understand correctly, one of the issues would be if the change is
sudden and not announced ahead long enough. From
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004875.html:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004867.html
> "Split tarballs *after* migrations are final and where it can be
> carefully planned and executed would be more welcome, say for kde-4.8."

This issue can easily be avoided, by announcing early enough.

Are you sure about Fedora?
From http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004869.html:

And in http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004884.html:

And in http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004877.html:
> Kevin Kofler/Fedora:
> "more burden", "less flexibility"
> "it is only possible to build multiple binary subpackages from
> one source package and not the other way round"
> "Doing split binary packages in turn has other problems, e.g.
> huge update  metadata when we push a new version"

Other statements:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004868.html:
> Jeremy Whiting/Slackware: "I fired up this discussion on my blog
> and the SLackware
> forum a few hours ago... Slackware will have to consider dropping KDE
> if we are confronted with source fragmentation. We are a small team
> and can not accept the added burden of maintaining a fragmented KDE
> based desktop environment."

Summary of concerns in http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-
June/004874.html:
> Raphael Kubo da Costa/kde-packager:
>  * Adding new packages (SRPMs or whatever) is slow in some distros;
>  * Fear that new tarballs will be released without proper instructions
>    or not following any criteria, so that creating packages and
>    following the dependencies gets harder.

There are also some arguments for splitting:
> Jeremy Whiting/SUN-Port: "I'm porting KDE to Solaris. We often
> face difficulties compiling either due to compiler (Sun Studio)
> or OS differences. The split will actually make it easier to make
> most of KDE available in time [...]

There is a proposed compromise solution, but this makes more work for the kde-
release team. http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2011-June/004868.html
> Eric Hameleers/Slackware: I would feel very relieved if the
> old monolithic tarballs would stay as a download option.
> Even if the release team maintains a series of scripts
> that makes a controlled checkout of monolithic tarballs
> possible for packagers, that would be an acceptible solution.

I am not sure any longer whether splitting is worth the trouble. I am getting
the impression that it could also effectively lead to an even more fragmented
kde-multimedia.

   Greetings,
        Christian