List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Phonon problems in Debian
From:       "Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas" <pedro.lopez.cabanillas () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-23 18:31:04

On Sunday 23 January 2011, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Thiago Macieira at 23/01/11 13:44 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Sunday, 23 de January de 2011 13:18:31 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > > 'Twas brillig, and Thiago Macieira at 19/01/11 23:05 did gyre and gimble:

> > > Not sure I follow your point here...
> >
> > I mean systems like mine, where ALSA is configured to go to the kernel, not to
> > pulseaudio.
> >
> > But pulseaudio is running. It's unused and useless.
>
> There is very, very little point in configuring a system where PA is
> running and ALSA is not directing the "default" device to PA. To do so
> would be an exercise in frustration and strange errors.
>
> If you don't want to use PA then fine, but don't configure it to run. If
> your distro behaves itself, then it'll offer easy ways to configure
> this. If not then you'll have to do it yourself (disable autospawn and
> stop the XDG autostart files from firing).

There may be good reasons to keep the PA daemon running, even when you don't need it \
all of the time. For instance, to avoid a problem like this \
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/732071 If there are problems when the PA \
ALSA plugin is too bored because programs are not using it, this should be addressed \
and fixed.

On the other hand, the "default" device is only that, a default setting. Most ALSA \
enabled programs can be configured to open one device name or another. Only when the \
user didn't bother to provide some other device name the default device is used. In \
addition to the ALSA plugin, PulseAudio has also a native API that may be supported \
by some programs as a configuration setting, and it requires the PA daemon running.

Regards,
Pedro