List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: knotify and libcanberra Re: KDE Sound and Multimedia Plan
From:       "Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas" <pedro.lopez.cabanillas () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-03 22:13:48

On Friday 03 December 2010, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 11:42 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > I should stress that libcanberra wasn't designed as a game library. It
> > may well work fine for some games which have a relatively small number
> > of "bings" and "beep" type noises, but I don't know how well it would
> > scale beyond that (it work very well or there may be limitations, but
> > there should be no problem combining e.g. phonon for background music
> > and using a few samples cached in libcanberra for quick playback.
> >
> > It would be worth doing a few tentative tests in this area before
> > deciding on it however.
> >
> > Col
> Maybe an openAL backend? or maybe the game needs are so specific that
> we'll have to cook another solution for them probably based on openAL
> (or use openAL directly and encourage it usage).

Do you mean a Phonon backend implemented using openAL? If this is the idea, the \
problem is that currently Phonon doesn't allow several backends running at once. It \
follows the "one backend must fit all use cases" paradigm, similar to the former \
situation of Solid, that has been recently overcome. So the openAL backend would need \
to provide support to all media classes and use cases.

I would like to have specialized Phonon backends, concurrently loaded, being able to \
choose which one to use by application category (mp3 players, games, desktop effects, \
...) or by media class (audio, video, MIDI, ...)

Regards,
Pedro