List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Progressive download in Phonon
From:       Ian Monroe <ian.monroe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-03 19:09:57

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Jonathan Wong <jhannwong@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a possibility of doing progressive download (pseudo streaming) in Phonon?

Whats wrong with normal streaming? I guess I don't get the difference.

> The DS9 backend uses function RenderFile to employ a "file over network" filter. Well, the filter
> (File Source (URL) filter) is employed at a lower level not in the DS9 backend, though.
>
> Will the DS9 backend grow to include a progressive download (pull model) source filter? DirectShow
> doesn't have one yet, though one could be written.
>
> Will Phonon (not backend) evolve to include progressive download?

What is wrong with the Phonon api that blocks a backend from supporting it?

> Will I be able to submit contributions? My last submitted patch got no response.

Did you email phonon-backends with it? Anyways Qt Software should
probably define a system to contribute to their backends. I'm not sure
if kdesupport or using qt.gitorious.org makes more sense. Phonon is
really lacking leadership at the moment.

Ian