List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Selecting sound card in kmix
From:       Christian Esken <christian () esken ! de>
Date:       2009-05-15 21:48:48

Am Dienstag 12 Mai 2009 16:22:15 schrieb Wolfgang Klein:
> Hello,
>
> I have a tiny little problem with kmix on KDE 3.5 but I didn't find any
> solution in the archives so far.
>
> There are two sound cards in my machine, both working perfectly and both
> are recognized by kmix. I can select the desired card in the drop down
> list in the upper right corner.
>
> What I need is a way to tell kmix which card is to be selected by
> command line, either by calling "kmix -card0" or by DCOP.
>
> The reason for this is, that the sound card that's to be used depends on
> which user is loggin in to the system. Which means: if user A is logging
> in, kmix is to use card X as the default card, and if user B is logging
> in, kmix is to use card Y as default.
>
> Kmix doesn't actually need to "forget" the other card. I just want it to
> pre-select the desired card, so the user can use kmix's kicker icon to
> change volume without having to open the main application window and
> select the right card manually.

If user A sets the Master to an appropriate control on card X,
and user B sets the Master to an appropriate control on card Y
this results in the folowing behaviour:

The user can then control the volume with the Dock Icon.

If you need it also in the Main Window, then you must use a more recent
version of KMix, like the one from KDE4.2.

  Christian