List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: aRts in trunk
From:       Christian Esken <esken () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-30 12:14:32

Am Samstag, 30. Juli 2005 00:55 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> On Friday 29 July 2005 10:14, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > Does anyone have an objection to aRts being removed from trunk?  If not
> > I'll give him the "ok" in the next day or so.
>
> I have no objections.  In fact I'd like it to be removed.  Although not for
> the reasons that there was a big flamewar over.

One word ahead: KDE's general development style is to have the trunk version \
compiling/usable/working at all times. Yes: I am aware that there are exceptions, but \
these are always short periods. So this means: If there applications that have not \
yet migrated away from ARTS, keep up ARTS (in some way or another). But if ARTS \
doesn't compile, and no one fixes it: Remove ARTS

> I'd like it removed because if not we'd have two independent copies of arts in
> trunk.  Branch 1.5 (which will be released with KDE 3.5, no?), and /trunk.
> Any fixes that get applied should get applied to both, and so it makes no
> sense to have both, as it's likely that they'll get out of sync
> unnecessarily.

Good point. And I'd like to add: Fixing it in branch is *much* more important than \
fixing it in trunk (because trunk effectively means KDE4). Charles, is there anything \
you like to add here? For example comments why it is easier for you to fix things in \
trunk than in branch? Abviously you would need to checkout branch ARTS, but this \
can't be your whole concerrn, right?

> svn will check out any URL you give to it, and if you're using kdesvn-build
> you can just stick "branch 1.5" into your arts module config, re-checkout,
> and be done with it.

Are you sure: Will any application in trunk compile/work with that version? Probably \
subtle fixes were appiled, so that it compiles with QT4 (source code fixes, \
#include's , #define's, ...).

> The only issue is that branch 1.5 is supposed to be frozen for bugfixes but
> since aRts is currently unmaintained I don't see that as a huge issue.

Fully agree here.

Please see also my next mail (ARTS Migration Plan).

 Chris
--
Is UNIX ready for the Desktop? See http://www.kde.org
KDE Developer: esken@kde.org