List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: aRts in trunk
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-29 20:31:22

Hi Allan,

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> The design is basically flawed for desktop audio since it delegates real-time
> low-latency work loads through unix pipes to the audio applications. You
> cannot expect all audio applications to run real-time and you can not expect
> users to apply custom patches that allow jack to hand out real-time
> privileges.
>
> And no matter what KDE does, a pretty GUI can not hide applying kernel patches
> and a design that is just not suitable for desktop usage.

Thanks for being intelligent enough to point this out.  I hope that
one day, the Linux kernel developers will take this suggestion as well. I
have on numerous occasions said that Mixing belongs in the kernel.  Until
then, every solution will be sub-par.

MacOS X does this, Windows XP does this (and has since '95 with
directsound, if I understand correctly).  The only OSes that don't do it
are ones that are designed from the ground up to not be desktop OSes,
like Linux.

There was a reason, Allan, that I didn't reply to this guy's first email,
and you'll just end up replying to uninformed comments until the end of
time...

-Charles