Hi everyone, I thought you should know that Wim has sent out a mail to gstreamer- devel with a proposed roadmap for GStreamer. The documents are working drafts on the tasks we want to do in order to push GStreamer forward. These documents are working drafts and will probably change due to feedback from the wider community, but I think they highlight the current issues nicely and proposes some solutions for solving them. The plan is to have Wim working fulltime for the next months implementing the final designs, so we hope to have a rough consensus on the approach to take within the GStreamer community within a few weeks. One question we assume will come up from the desktop groups is also what the GStreamer team plans on doing post 0.9. Will be do a 1.0 or a 0.10 or... This haven't been discussed recently within the GStreamer community, but I think it is clear at this point that there will be a 0.10 release after 0.9. One of our goals for having Wim write these rather extensive documents is to push for a GStreamer 1.0 release, but due to the relatively big changes introduced with these documents (or with any other proposed approach) we feel it might be a bit to bold to go directly from 0.9 to 1.0. So the question is wether 0.10 will work out well enough to make that release series a 'preview release' for 1.0 or if we end up needing a the 0.11/0.12 release pair to nail some final issues. What exactly will happen here will of course influence a lot the timetable for a GStreamer 1.0. If we manage to keep the timetable Wim has outlined in his mail and 0.10 turns out to have no major quirks, then 1.0 doesn't need to be that far away on the horizon. If things doesn't turn out as rosy, and we all know that has sometimes happened in software development, then the wait for 1.0 will be somewhat longer (of course). Christian Link to Wim's mail with an overview: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php? thread_id=6052387&forum_id=5947 Link to actual documents: Negotiation3: http://freedesktop.org/cgi- bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gstreamer/docs/random/wtay/negotiation3? rev=1.1&view=markup Threading: http://freedesktop.org/cgi- bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gstreamer/docs/random/wtay/threading? rev=1.1&view=markup Performance http://freedesktop.org/cgi- bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gstreamer/docs/random/wtay/performance? rev=1.1&view=markup _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia