List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Polypaudio, discussion on gnome-devel
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2004-11-25 10:04:39

On Thursday 25 November 2004 10:06, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Moin moin
>
> I found this thread on gnome-devel:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-November/msg00519.ht
>ml
>
> It's about replacing ESound with polypaudio [1].
>
> Starting with this mail they talk about sharing the soundserver with KDE.
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-November/msg00557.ht
>ml
>
> As I haven't found a discussion about polypaudio on this list I thought I
> might as well inform you about that discussion. According to [2] the
> GNOME-ppl will not decide about the soundserver for GNOME 2.10 until Januar
> 10 2005.

Polypaudio has been advertised here as well. I've looked at it and it is
actually pretty good, but ASFAIK it still hasn't got a gstreamer driver, or
proven that a synchronized gstreamer driver is even possible.

Currently I have more an idea of a freedesktop.org standard for specifying
soundserver or output that all frameworks could share or atleast support. e.g
it could read:
alsa: default
polypaudio: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yy
jackd: mychannel
oss: /dev/dsp

If the audio-framework supports the audio-output specified first, it opens the
output device after the colon.

The point is there is no reason to have a soundserver like polypaudio or artsd
if  you are only playing audio locally, but being unix desktops we should
also support network transparency.

`Allan