On Thursday 25 November 2004 10:06, Carsten Niehaus wrote: > Moin moin > > I found this thread on gnome-devel: > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-November/msg00519.ht >ml > > It's about replacing ESound with polypaudio [1]. > > Starting with this mail they talk about sharing the soundserver with KDE. > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-November/msg00557.ht >ml > > As I haven't found a discussion about polypaudio on this list I thought I > might as well inform you about that discussion. According to [2] the > GNOME-ppl will not decide about the soundserver for GNOME 2.10 until Januar > 10 2005. > Polypaudio has been advertised here as well. I've looked at it and it is actually pretty good, but ASFAIK it still hasn't got a gstreamer driver, or proven that a synchronized gstreamer driver is even possible. Currently I have more an idea of a freedesktop.org standard for specifying soundserver or output that all frameworks could share or atleast support. e.g it could read: alsa: default polypaudio: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yy jackd: mychannel oss: /dev/dsp If the audio-framework supports the audio-output specified first, it opens the output device after the colon. The point is there is no reason to have a soundserver like polypaudio or artsd if you are only playing audio locally, but being unix desktops we should also support network transparency. `Allan _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia