List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Proposal: libunixmm.so (about the Comparison: MAS, GStreamer,
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2004-09-09 21:02:38

On Thursday 09 September 2004 22:08, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > - It can be asked whether certain access is possible
> > e.g.: Can i currently record PCM on device#1 ?
> > - It can be asked to grant those accesses
> > e.g.: Grant me the possibilitly to record PCM. (This call could return with \
> > "granted" or "not granted - full-duplex cannot be set" ).
>
> Instead of having such a complicated API, why not use a simple DBUS
> interface for synchronizing access to the sound devices? i.e. before
> accessing the audio device an application issues a special DBUS
> command 'request_device("oss", "/dev/dsp")'. If nobody responds, the

I don't care for the exact implementation detail. But what we will
need (medium-term) is more precise information:

"I need /dev/dsp" is a very hard constraint, as this is often an exclusive ressource \
and cannot be granted often.

Somthing like "playback capability" can be granted much more easily, as the \
multimedia backend can do mixing (via soundserver, dmix, HW capabilities).

But this is the far far in the future - we are currently stuck at a much more trivial \
level.

Chris