List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: summary of the aKademy meetings
From:       Matthias Kretz <kretz () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-09-06 14:12:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 06 September 2004 11:43, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Monday 2004 September 06 02:13 am, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > Right now you can see kdemm as a showcase of different options, we would
> > like people to try it out, break it, come up with experience-based
> > recommendations for a default framework for KDE 4, rather than the
> > guesswork, drinking games and numerology we would have used to pick on at
> > aKademy.
>
> Wait, wait, wait, this is just for KDE 3.4?

If for KDE 3.4 than only to give a really good test-drive. IMHO, only shipping
it as an add-on won't be as good since then we can't ship the ported knotify,
konq-sound and so on

> My objections have all been shattered.  While at the same time I find it
> quite stupid to introduce *yet another* API just for 3.4. So under those
> conditions, I again don't see the point.
>
> So, to summarize:
>
> Advantages:
>  - A single API (like with KAudioPlayer which itself could be abstracted to
> do this anyway)
>
> Disadvantages:
>  - We'll get lazy and stick with this stuff for 4.0.

I'd say KDE 4 isn't ready if kdemm isn't ready. And I'm committed to getting
it done right.

>  - Another API

In addition to what? I mean the current KDE media interfaces are all either
direct wrappers for aRts classes or you have to use KMediaPlayer, which is
often overkill (most apps wanting to play a media file don't want a KPart for
that).

>  - More stuff in kdelibs, one that's very weak

More compared to what? After all we'll throw out artskde (and probably move it
to kdemultimedia to the aRts backend). And what is weak? The API?

>  - Still won't make us actually audiosystem agnostic

agnostic?
dict:agnostic only tells me a meaning for the word I've already known, but I
don't see what that's supposed to mean in this context...

>  - API changing once now for 3.4, and again 4.0

What API _changes_?

--
C'ya
        Matthias