List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: kdesupport/taglib
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-19 11:31:46

On Monday 19 July 2004 13:14, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Monday 19 July 2004 12:37, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > Here's what I'm thinking at the moment:
> >
> > *) Branch for 1.2 and revert Allan's changes there.
> Sounds good, I was going to suggest the same.
>
> > *) Fix the couple of bugs that I was waiting on finishing before a 1.2
> > release and check this into both branches and release 1.2.  The features
> > that are new there have been in CVS for a while and are quite stable; the
> > same can't be said for the new features.
> > *) Mark HEAD as 1.3 and update the configure checks in kde-multimedia.
> > *) Release a 1.3 beta in the next couple of weeks.
> > *) If the new stuff seems to be stable enough release 1.3 in time for KDE
> > 3.3.
> >
> Exactly.

Ok -- sounds like we're all on the same page here.  I'll plan on proceeding
this way.  I'll try to get 1.2 out next weekend.

> > However I should note that I want to be cautious here since there was some
> > serious breakage in KDE 3.2 when Allan checked in FLAC support just before
> > the freeze.  The API really shouldn't have been released in the state that
> > it was in and it would often corrupt FLAC files that were saved using
> > TagLib. As such I must say that I'd like to not rush things now.  People
> > would generally rather have their files unsupported than corrupted.  ;-)
> >
> It was really too bad that correctly following the XiphComment-specification
> wasn't handled by some players..

Yeah, it was certainly an understandable mistake -- I probably would have made
the same one; it just didn't get enough testing before going out.  The same
was basically true for the API -- it was just missing a few things.

-Scott

p.s. There seem to be a handful of people following TagLib development these
days; I'm starting to wonder if a taglib-devel list would be useful.
Thoughts?