List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: KMix little broken for ALSA backend - not more than KMix in KDE
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2004-06-21 7:33:55

On Monday 21 June 2004 09:14, Peter Zubaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested KMix CVS version from 20040617.
> I have 2 soundcards runing ALSA:
> - Via8233 + ALC650 onboard sondcard
> - Creative Audigy
>
> Problems:
> 1)
> KMix doesn't handle enum mixer controls. Look at functions
> snd_mixer_selem_is_enumerated
> snd_mixer_selem_get_enum_items
> snd_mixer_selem_get_enum_item_name
> snd_mixer_selem_get_enum_item

I would like to look at them, but ALSA does not provide any documentation about the \
Mixer interface. Reading alsamixer source is extremly tiresome.

> Older versions doesn't handle this too (KDE 3.2.2)

Correct. It never did, but it is planned for after KDE3.3.

> 2)
> One mixer element can have both playback and capture volume.
> I think there should be 2 sliders for this kind of element. One for
> playback and one for capture. (that's why you can set capture volume

ACK. Planned for after KDE3.3.

> 3)
> Selecting capture source is not good.
> If I select capture source to something, this doesn't mean, that I
> cannot record from other sources.

Its better than in KMix2.0, where selecting record source would lead to unpredictable \
                results.
BTW: capture is the same as record, do I understand this right?

> But SB Live has capture switch nearly on all inputs. When KMix sets
> capture source it removes it from other inputs, but in alsamixer you
> can set capture source for 2 and more sources.

Will change after KDE3.3

> Best way will be - set capture source and reread values from mixer to
> see what changes (and this will sync sliders with other mixer too).

Yes, but exactly this is VERY complicated with ALSA. You cannot simply "read", and \
additionally ALSA does not provide documentation on the Mixer interface at all. It \
will be done as soon as ALSA provides documentation.

Chris