List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    kdeextragear-1/amarok
From:       Max Howell <max.howell () methylblue ! com>
Date:       2004-03-07 17:32:29

CVS commit by mhowell:

* Preliminary support for NMM in amaroK (http://www.networkmultimedia.org)
* The amaroK team hope to help kdemultimedia decide on the multimedia framework for \
KDE 4 by building backends for the candidates into our product. The NMM engine can be \
built into amaroK by configuring --with-nmm --with-nmm-includes=/path/to/includes. \
                Then select the engine in amaroK preferences.
* Building NMM is notoriously difficult due to it's high number of library \
requirements some of which also have specific version requirements. If you want to \
                build and try out NMM please drop by #amarok for tips.
* My experience with building the engine was a little frustrating due to the lack of \
useful documentation. The engine is limited currently in that it only plays mp3s and \
Vorbis files, has no seeking and supports no scopes. But it'll play. I'm using it \
                exclusively because it is more kind to my system than aRts.
* I hope that other people will help build the rest of the engine and gauge the \
suitability of NMM for KDE. NMM's strengths appear to include it's vast number of \
plugins which allow you to read and ouput many file formats and the ease with which \
one can write new plugins, its flexibility and its well-structured c++ (which also \
                uses exceptions).
* Finally, review of the configure.in.in modifications would be appreciated.

CCMAIL: kde-multimedia@kde.org

  A            amarok/engine/nmm_engine.cpp   1.1 [UNKNOWN]
  A            amarok/engine/nmm_engine.h   1.1 [UNKNOWN]
  M +86 -29    configure.in.in   1.17
  M +1 -1      amarok/Makefile.am   1.63
  M +20 -5     amarok/engine/Makefile.am   1.6
  M +22 -9     amarok/engine/enginebase.cpp   1.9