On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:32:03AM +0100, Scott Wheeler wrote: > On Friday 20 February 2004 1:15, Koos Vriezen wrote: > > I hope this discussion is converging to having a small sound server, > > used by all KDE apps (with no linking penalties, lazy initialization etc). > > Since arts already can use ESD, MAS, ALSA as sound server, we already have > > this Knotify should use a sound server (as defined above) and not a media > > framework IHMO. So what should be done is writing a sound server for KDE > > first. > > That doesn't make any sense -- why would we write another sound server? Simply using ESD would be a start..actually a small wrapper that plugins ESD and/or Jack, MAS etc. Maintaining this is in no way comparable with maintaining arts, no? > > Next change arts to use it, post patches to gstreamer/mplayer/xine to use it > > too. And next everybody is happy because we have a light sound server, arts > > applications still work and development on gstreamer/whatever can > > continue :-) > > Which basically means we'd be where we are now, but we'd have introduced > another layer and something else for us to do a bad job of maintaining. Not quite, knotify doesn't depend on arts (was the subject of the original posting :) Koos _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia