Hi! On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 05:02:53PM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote: > - support use of the Qt object model we use > - be released stably when KDE releases are made > - maintain binary compatibility for the lifetime of the KDE major release > it's shipped with For these requirements exactly, redesigning parts of MCOP would be extremely helpful. (1) one could make a Qt language binding to MCOP, thus having QStrings in MCOP interfaces in client applications - this would remove a lot of unnecessary wrapping (2) maintaining binary compatibility with the existing MCOP middleware is painful - you see that in all the Arts::FooBarV2 interfaces that create utterly complex inheritance hierarchies Some of these problems are fixed in SFI (the SFK middleware, which I have been developing with Tim for BEAST), however I am not yet sure if we can/should/ could gracefully merge those efforts into KDE4. As soon as there is more public documentation up on the BEAST/SFK webpages, we can discuss this with more technical background. Cu... Stefan -- -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany KDE Developer, project infos at http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde *- _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia