Hi! On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:29:34PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote: > On Saturday 22 February 2003 2:17, Stefan Westerfeld wrote: > > I want that, too, and I have implemented CSL for that reason, and I see no > > reason not to deploy it into KDE3.2. No reason at all. I think we should > > add it to kdesupport soonish. > > If we choose to use CSL, which seems reasonable to me, I feel it would be > logical to lighten up aRts a bit, for example. If we choose to use CSL, it'd > also be possible to do the following (I'm not saying any of them are > preferable, just possible) > > - remove full network transparency (as CSL can do that) > - make it one artsd per application > - remove a crapload of other features from artsd that nobody uses. Yes, I think this sounds like a sane development direction for "the KDE media technology" in the future. Uncouple the sound server functionality aRts offers from the media framework functionality. Thus, I agree, that a KDE media player which does the following: (a) start an own process (b) instantiate its playobjects and effects there (c) send the output from this process to CSL would be a a nice thing to have. And should I tell you something? I think you can write one in about a week (or even less). Its really simple. Use the trader to get an Arts::PlayObject. Connect it to a Arts::Synth_PLAY configured to CSL. Use MCOP as IPC technology. I don't have time for coding this right now, but if you (or somebody else) could hack such a thing and put it to kdenonbeta, that would immensely benefit the discussion I think. As always, I answer any questions you might have during coding. ;) Cu... Stefan -- -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany KDE Developer, project infos at http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde *- _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia