On Sunday 23 February 2003 02:29, Neil Stevens wrote: > aRts: > Jack: > Xine: > CSL: (correct any errors here, please, I can't find much CSL information) You can't compare those as contenders. In most apps Jack and CSL do not make much sense without a media-framework like Xine or GStreamer. Arts and MAS are the only integrated systems. > Anyone care to add an option I didn't list here? GStreamer. Pro: much more powerful than all the options that you have listed (full support for video & audio, encoding & decoding); actively maintained backend; very large number of codecs, converters, filters and effects, i/o plugins and so on; already used by a KDE app (JuK); used by Gnome (thus there is a way to write codecs for both DEs); intends to keep binary compatibility from 0.6.0 on; nice, Qt-friendly C++ wrappers :) Con: i am not perfectly happy with its reliability yet, but it is improving (and must be stable for the next Gnome version); backend is in C with glib; right now plugins must be written using C/glib; no KIO source and sinks yet bye... _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia