On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 02:02:24AM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote: > On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Neil Stevens wrote: > > >> well as other lad projects), I'd really like to welcome you, the KDE > >> multimedia people, to join these projects. There's plenty of work for > > You wrote that a lot more diplomatically than I would have. Yes, if > > someone wants linux-specific audio, he should join the existing linux > > audio efforts. KDE is not the place for them. > > :) Point taken. Yes, these projects are Linux centric, but not necessarily > Linux only. For instance there has been some work on porting JACK to > Solaris. OSS driver for JACK could also be implemented (I think that would > cover most of the KDE platforms). Adrian DeGroot runs it on Freebsd. I run it on MacOSX. My brother runs it on HP/UX. I'm giving you personal examples so that you don't think this is some sort of "But Think Of the Children!"-hand-waving exercise. > I think it's vital that we'd have people around on linux-audio-dev (and > other related forums) that kept the desktop use perspective (i.e. media > players (audio _and_ video), simple audio output (notifiers), games, etc) > and also platform independence, on the table when discussing audio > platform issues. > > Of course, if all the participants are interested primarily in pro-audio > uses, well that's what you get as a result. Sure you could pretend to be > able to solve problems for other areas of use, but in reality you can't do > good design work without domain knowledge. And that's what you KDE (and > GNOME) people have lots and lots of. Full agreement. But who's volunteering to actually participate? Write code? Read 3-4 more mailing lists? You seem like you are informed. Represent us! D.A.Bishop _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia