On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:41:12PM +0100, Stefan Westerfeld wrote: > Hi! > > On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:22:27AM -0700, David Bishop wrote: > > *obligatory complaint* > > Um, the docs on arts really suck :-( Maybe I'm just spoiled with the great Qt > > and KDE docs, but it's really disappointing to find that even the headers are > > poorly commented (for instance, see Arts::Refiller at > > http://www.arts-project.org/doc/headers/Arts__Refiller.html, and based soley > > off of that (or anything else on that site), tell me what it's return value > > is supposed to represent, or what, exactly, is supposed to be in buffer after > > it returns. I'm having to figure this stuff out by reading the source to > > other PlayObjects :-(( (thanks for the pointers to those, by the way. the > > corrollary to the "docs suck" complaint would be that the mailing list is > > responsive) > > *end of obligatory complaint* > > Free Software: if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. Please, if you > find something thats wrong, learn not to accept it. Send me patches to > documentation if its broken. Offer to work on the website if its insufficient. First: that's probably my favorite quote regarding free software. I keep thinking about getting it on a bumper sticker... Second: I am :-) My first two projects are two more fully comment the headers and create some "dummy" projects. I don't think I'm the only one out there that learns best by seeing how other people do things, and small, well-commented examples go along way to getting there. > TrollTech has a lot of full time employees only working on Qt, and getting > paid for that. They do have customers. Thus its sure that they do have the > resources to write good code and really good documentation. That's very understandable, but I also mentioned KDE (i.e., libs and base). :-) While there are parts of the KDE docs that aren't shining examples of completeness either, they tend to be much better than what I've seen so far for arts. BUT, I don't say that as disrespect, or to say that you "haven't done enough" (whatever that's supposed to mean in a free-software context), just a (sad) statement of fact. I think it was you that said (a few threads up) that we have to discuss weaknesses as well as strengths, and as a budding developer, lack of/poor quality docs is arts's biggest failing. I firmly believe that arts latency is "good enough" for the vast, vast majority of users out there, and that throwing out source-code compatability (or at least staying close) would be a mistake. But unless I'm willing to back up my opinion with code, I don't see as how it matters all too much what I think... Expect the first few patches against headers in the upcoming week. D.A.Bishop _______________________________________________ kde-multimedia mailing list kde-multimedia@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-multimedia