List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Playing from a buffer using arts
From:       Rob Walker <rob.lists () tenfoot ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-24 16:09:21

Hi,

I'm a bit stuck with arts at the moment. I'm trying to use arts to playback
data from a buffer in a C++ app, but I want to keep the gui responsive so the
user can stop/pause/skip playback etc. From the arts documentation/source, I
can see several ways to do this, but none seems to fit what I need:

1) Using ByteSoundProducer as in the streamsound.cc example. I can fill in the
buffers with the data, but it requires that the dispatcher is in the blocking
run() call to play the data, leaving the gui unresponsive. Is there a
non-blocking equivalent?

2) Using a class derived from SynthModule that runs in the artsd process. This
avoids the need for the dispatcher, but how does it get access to the data
from the buffer in the application's address space?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Rob